November, 2014, LWC DeRoos Drumbeat
One of the good mood foods is broccoli which has stress-relieving vitamin B6. It also contains folic acid which is important in fighting depression. These little trees also have 2 days’ worth of vitamins C and K in each serving.
1. Cancer prevention: Broccoli has cancer fighting, immune boosting properties. A combination of anti-flammatory, antioxidant and detoxification properties, work together in cancer prevention. Research is strongest showing a decrease in prostate cancer, colon cancer, bladder cancer and ovarian cancer.
2. Cholesterol reduction: Like many whole foods, broccoli is packed with soluble fiber that draws cholesterol out of your body.
3. Reducing allergic reaction and inflammation: Known to lessen the impact of allergy-related substances on our body. Broccoli has a phytonutrient (flavonol) called Kaempferol, helps lessen allergy-related substances. Broccoli has significant amounts of omega 3 fatty acids, which are well known as an anti-inflammatory.
4. Powerful antioxidant: Of all the cruciferous (cross bearing) vegetables, flowering vegetables with four equal petals arranged crosswise, broccoli stands out as the most concentrated source of vitamin C, plus the flavonoids (colorful pigment chemicals) necessary for vitamin C to recycle effectively.
5. Bone health: Broccoli contains high levels of both calcium and vitamin K, both of which are important for bone health and prevention of osteoporosis.
6. Heart health: The anti-inflammatory properties may be able to prevent (or even reverse) some of the damage to blood vessel linings that can be caused by inflammation due to chronic blood sugar problems.
7. Diet aid: Broccoli is a good carb and is high in fiber, which aids in digestion, prevents constipation, maintains low blood sugar, and curbs overeating.
8. Detoxification means cleaning the blood. Thorough chewing of raw Broccoli or other cruciferous vegetables increases metabolism, protects against oxidative stress, neuroinflmmation, and cell death, which may benefit neurodegeneration in Parkinson’s Disease. Isothiocyanates helps to enhance the removal of dangerous toxins that threaten our cells.
Extra information: The compounds glucosinolate (secondary metabolites necessary for metabolism) contact with plant myrosinase (an enzyme) and increases the amount of isothiocyanates (compounds against oxidative stress, neuroinflammation, and cell death) when absorbed.
9. Alkalizing– a healthy alkaline balance where our bodies internal fluids affect every cell in our bodies. Germs are less likely to get a foothold and cause problems with yeast, fungus, and molds.
Promoting a lifestyle of preventative care!
WELLNESS PRINCIPAL: Health comes from within. You cannot buy it in a bottle.