Yellow, the color that stimulates appetite and triggers the feelings of happiness and friendliness, gives us a warm fuzzy feeling like the sun. When the LORD God created light, this literally created the possibility for us to see living beautiful colors for our benefit in so many ways.
Since we eat with our eye’s first, it is no wonder the food industry uses color in their fake food because of the psychological nature of it to the consumer. But, we must remember the purpose of these chemicals is often to mask the absence of real food, to increase the appeal of a low-nutrition product to children. These artificial colors continue to be known as the secret shame of the food industry and the regulators who watch over it.
- quinoline yellow (E104)
- FD&C Yellow 6 – *sunset yellow-orange shade FCF (E110) (3,558,351
- FD&C Yellow 5 Tartrazine (E102) Yellow shade (3,756,551 pounds of dye)
- Alternative names – Tartrazine, Y4, Coal Tar Dyes
- Yellow No. 5 and Yellow No. 6water-soluble food colorings used in some medicines, most foods, and often beauty products. They are banned in Norway, Austria, and Germany. Delisted are FD&C Yellows No. 1, 2, 3, and 4.
WHAT IS YELLOW 5 (E102)?
Yellow 5 (aka Tartazine, E102): synthetic lemon yellow that is made from petroleum (crude oil from the ground).
- it contains the cancer-causing compounds benzidine and 4-aminobiphenyl.
- Six of the 11 studies on Yellow 5 showed that it caused genotoxicity, a deterioration of the cell’s genetic material with potential to mutate healthy DNA.
- Yellow 5 combined with sodium benzoate could result in hyperactivity in children.
It’s found in gelatin desserts, candy, pet food, and baked goods. It is often fed to chickens to make their egg yolks more appealing.
Side effects of yellow 5: ingestion, anxiety, migraines, clinical depression, blurred vision, itching, general weakness, heatwaves, worsen asthma symptoms, feeling of suffocation, cause allergy-like hypersensitivity reactions, purple skin patches, and sleep disturbance. Tartazine, Yellow 5 (watch video)
WHAT IS YELLOW 6 (E110)?
YELLOW 6 LAKE is really bad stuff combined together from lots of chemicals. Benzenesulphonic acid treated with hydrochloric acid and sodium nitrite. Since it is a lake, salt has been added to it so it is insoluble in liquids. The resulting dye is purified and isolated as the sodium salt. Out of the numerous artificial dyes under the Federal Food Drug and Cosmetics Act (FD&C).
Yellow #6 belongs to the monoazo class of colorants that is yellow–orange in color.
- is a toxic chemical
- is a sulfonated form of Sudan I
Sudan l is a poisonous substance that was one of the original petroleum azo compound dyes developed in the late 19th century during the European textile boom. A tiny proportion of people express an allergy to yellow #6 and experience symptoms, such as hives, asthma and skin rashes. 70 percent of the global use of dyes are azo dyes, which are among the most hazardous.
- it is heavily correlated with hyperactivity, especially in children.
- is linked to some types of tumors.
- may have a relationship to adrenal and kidney malfunction
- *Yellow #6 (E110): Banned in Norway and Finland. Due to the same cancer-causing compounds as Yellow #5, it causes tumors in the kidneys and adrenal glands of laboratory animals.
- In “Food and Chemical Toxicology” in 2010 noted that both Yellow No. 5 and Yellow No. 6 food dyes changed the chemical functions of the liver and kidneys.
Side effects – gastric upset, diarrhea, vomiting, nettle rash (urticaria), swelling of the skin (angioedema) and migraines, linked to hyperactivity in young children
Further reading: Is It Bad For You
What’s the Big Deal?
Regardless of how many of these turn out to be proven or not, I am not sure how eating a product that was made from industrial coal-tar can be good for you. At best, there is no nutritional value. At worst, it may be causing a whole host of problems. Even if you’re not sensitive to Yellow Dye, would you knowingly feed your children coal-tar? Which has nothing to do but give dangerous diseases or conditions to people?
Why would the FDA allow an industry to put yellow dye in anything?
It may ATTRACT the children.
But then, adults are children at heart also, aren’t we?
The FDA continues to justify the negative effects of artificial dyes on human health, in spite of numerous studies highlighting these effects.
What Yellow No. 5 and Yellow No. 6 is in: skittles, jello, gelatin desserts, dessert powders, pet foods, American cheese, macaroni and cheese, Starburst, frostings, Oreos, ice creams, flavored milk, yogurt, carbonated beverages. color bakery goods, cereals, crackers, beverages, dessert powders, candies, gelatin desserts, sausage, pickles, hot dogs, cosmetics, drugs (yellow vitamin capsules) and on and on. Allergy-symptoms
Don’t assume that only yellow color foods include this dye, but few white cup cakes also contain yellow dye as an ingredient. It is best to read the labels.
Where can you find easy, natural dyes?
Does Trader Joe’s sell natural dyes? Not a single one. If you shop there, encourage them to carry the products you see below and in this Red – Appealing Danger Color Food Beautiful series. (Click link for last months suggested coloring producers.)
Americolor food coloring natural? Sorry, what may be the best-selling premium brand still uses the synthetics.
Here is a list of safe food coloring manufacturers: Have you made your Christmas cookies yet?
(I do not benefit financially from this referrals)
- Color Kitchen Food Coloring
- Natural Baking Decorations
- India Tree
- Color Garden
- TruColor, King Arthur (but most they sell are artificial from Americolor)
- Uncle Roy’s (UK brand)
What can you do?
- Use a smidgen of Tumeric Powder for a truer yellow color.
- Using annatto or paprika will produce more of a rusty orange versus a yellowish.
- For your non-dessert recipes, such as if you want to make vegan cheddar cheese using ground nuts, then mustard seed powder along with nutritional yeast is a good alternative for creating that yellow-orange hue.
- Please visit my blog post Yellow, The Vision Vitamin of the benefits of natural yellows.
Several major multinational companies that do not use dyes in Europe said that they don’t use dyes in Europe because government has urged them not to—but that they would continue to use dyes in the United States until they were ordered not to or consumers demanded such foods.
Consumers should not have to wait decades, if not forever, for companies to voluntarily remove questionable dyes from their products. The FDA, which is charged with protecting the public from unsafe food ingredients, should ban all of the dyes.
It is reported that 90 percent of all dyes used in the US involve these three food dyes —red #40, yellow #5, and yellow #6.
What else can you do?
- Lobby your government Representatives to push for the removal of toxic dyes
- *Get educated about what is in your food. READ LABELS. Read more in the Food Dyes Rainbow of Risk.
- *Use your purchasing power and avoid foods with toxic dyes
- Right to companies expressing your views
- Reduce or stop consuming processed food
- *Buy organic, but still look for dyes.
- Cleanse and detox your body to remove the cumulative chemicals
You have more influencing power than you think!
In the US, Kraft Macaroni and Cheese contains the artificial food dyes Yellow 5 and Yellow 6. These unnecessary – yet potentially harmful – dyes are not in Kraft Macaroni and Cheese in other countries, including the UK, because they were removed due to consumer outcry. Isn’t it time we cried out, enough is enough. We need to get smart, be wise with our food choices for our families health.
Why not sleep well at night knowing you are using beneficial colors to liven up your food? Just think about all the nutritional benefits you gain from these real and beneficial colors. Hmmm, I think I need to cover the nutritional benefits of these at some point.
Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by. It shows your interest in health or your curiosity. If you enjoyed this post, please press the follow button, like it, and share how it helped you. If you know someone who could be helped by this information please pass it on. People are destroyed from a lack of knowledge. Hosea 4:6. I’d be very grateful if you’d help it spread the word so that more people can live their best life now free and to the fullest.
U.S.Department of Health & Human Services – Yellow 5 Lists other household items
U.S.Department of Health & Human Services – Yellow 6 Lists other household items