Sugar Snap Peas
We don’t usually think about green peas as an exotic food in terms of nutrient composition—but we should. They also contain a unique assortment of health-protective phyto-nutrients (plant nutrient)
Peas are really little powerhouses of nutrition that are a great for your health.
1. Weight Management:
Peas are low-fat but high everything else. A cup of peas has less than 100 calories but lots of protein, fiber and micro- nutrients.
2. Stomach cancer prevention:
Peas contain high amounts of a protective nutrient that works to prevent stomach cancer. You only need 2 milligrams per day of this phyto-nutrient (plant nutrient) to prevent stomach cancer. A cup of peas has at least 10.
3. Anti-aging, strong immune system, and high energy:
Peas contain high levels of anti-oxidant.
4. Prevention of wrinkles, Alzheimer’s, arthritis, bronchitis, osteoporosis and candida
Peas contain strong anti-inflammatory properties. Excess inflammation has also been linked to,
heart disease, cancer, and aging in general.
• Vitamin C and vitamin E, and a good amount of the antioxidant mineral zinc
• Omega-3 fat in the form of alpha-linolenic acid (ALA).
5. Blood sugar regulation:
High fiber and protein slows down and regulates the pace of how fast sugars are digested.
The anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatory prevent or reverse insulin resistance (type 2 diabetes)
All carbohydrates are natural sugars and starches with no white sugars or chemicals to worry about.
6. Heart disease prevention:
The many antioxidant and anti-inflammatory compounds support healthy blood vessels. The formation
of plaque along our blood vessel walls starts with chronic, excessive oxidative stress and inflammation.
The generous amounts of vitamin B1 and folate, B2, B3, and B6 reduce the risk factor for heart disease.
7. Healthy for the environment:
• Peas work with bacteria in the soil to ‘fix’ nitrogen from the air and deposit it in
the soil. This reduces the need for artificial fertilizers since one of their main
ingredients is nitrogen.
• After peas have been harvested the remaining plant easily breaks down to
create more organic fertilizer for the soil.
• Peas are also able to grow on minimal moisture so they are a perfect crop in
many areas not needing irrigation or using up valuable water supplies.
8. Prevent constipation:
The high fiber content in peas improves bowel health and peristalsis.
9. Healthy bones
Just one cup of peas contain 44% of your Vitamin K which helps to anchor calcium inside the bones. It’s B
vitamins also help to prevent osteoporosis.
10. Reduces bad cholesterol:
The niacin in helps reduce, the production of triglycerides and VLDL (very low-density lipoprotein,
which results in less bad cholesterol, increased HDL (“good”) cholesterol, and lowered triglycerides.
“Let food be thy medicine, and medicine be thy food.” Hippocrates
Promoting a lifestyle of preventative care!
WELLNESS PRINCIPAL: Health comes from within. You cannot buy it in a bottle.