April, 2014 DeRoos Drumbeat
If you think bananas are just for monkeys, think again.
1. Improve your mood and reduce PMS symptoms by eating a banana, which regulates blood sugar and produces stress-relieving relaxation. Bananas help overcome depression due to high levels of tryptophan, which is converted into serotonin – the happy-mood brain neurotransmitter. The banana’s shape does kind of smile at you doesn’t it? Bananas are a rich source of both vitamin B-6 in serotonin, which helps keep the mood stable and bright, which also help your brain make these important neuro-chemicals.
2. Eat two bananas before a strenuous workout for a powerful energy punch while sustaining your blood sugar.
3. Protect against muscle cramps during workouts and nighttime leg cramps by eating a banana.
4. Counteract calcium loss during urination and build strong bones by supplementing with a banana.
5. High in potassium and low in salt, bananas are officially recognized by the FDA as being able to lower blood pressure and protect against heart attack and stroke.
6. Rich in pectin, bananas aid digestion and gently chelate toxins and heavy metals from the body.
7. Bananas act as a prebiotic, stimulating the growth of friendly bacteria in the bowel.
8. They also produce digestive enzymes to assist in absorbing nutrients.
9. Magnesium is beneficial for improving your brain function because it is a mineral that helps facilitate the electrical activity between the nerve cells in your brain and needs to offset stress. It also helps the brain dispose of the waste byproduct of protein metabolism, ammonia. By reducing the brain’s ammonia levels, magnesium improves your ability to focus, according to The Franklin Institute. It converts dietary fatty acids into DHA, a substance found within brain cell membranes.
10. Fiber in Bananas helps to stabilize overall health and ensure that the digestive system is functioning smoothly.
Going bananas doesn’t sound all that bad after all.
Promoting a lifestyle of preventative care!